OUR IN-HOUSE SERVICES
At Mindful Dental we offer a wide variety of services from the regular check up to fillings and root canals to complete dental implant procedures. We aim to offer all services in-house in order to maintain a standard of quality and care that simply cannot be matched with 3rd party affiliates. When you choose Mindful, we choose to ensure you fully taken care of from start to finish.
Scroll down to take a closer look at the wide variety of services we provide on-site for peace of mind.
Dental implants are the latest innovative way to replace missing teeth. They are essentially made of titanium and are specifically used to replace the roots of missing teeth. A dental crown is then attached on top of the implant as the prosthetic tooth.
Dental implants can be used to replace one tooth or multiple teeth. They can have multiple uses; they can replace an entire mouth of teeth with bridges, or even snap on and stabilize dentures in their place. Other reasons patients opt for dental implants include:
• Enhance or preserve facial tissues
• Prevents teeth from shifting into space where a natural tooth used to be.
Many of our patients find that dental implants are an excellent, permanent solution for restoring their smile!
• Dental implants match the look and shade of natural teeth.
• They can restore regular function in teeth, including biting, chewing, and speaking.
• Implants prevent adjacent teeth from shifting out of place.
1. Placing the Implant – We will surgically place a dental implant into your jawbone.
2. Attaching the Post – Once your jawbone and gums have fully healed, we will attach a small connector post, called an abutment, to the implant
3. Placing the Crown – Finally, we will fit a dental crown over these posts, to the implant.
The success of dental implants depends on your medical history as well as the quality and quantity of your jawbone. If you lack the jawbone necessary to support a dental implant, we may recommend performing a bone graft or sinus lift surgery, which will help add bone to your existing one. Our dentists can discuss with you about your eligibility for receiving dental implants and whether or not it’s right for you.
Invisalign is a modern alternative to traditional braces that help in the alignment of teeth. The Invisalign treatment is made up of a series of custom-made, clear aligners that are worn over your teeth. Every two weeks, you wear a new set of aligners from the series. Over time, these aligners will gradually shift your teeth into a more desirable position.
Invisalign is a popular orthodontic treatment because it can correct the same dental issues as traditional braces in a non-invasive way, including:
• Invisalign aligners are hardly noticeable, making them more discreet than traditional braces.
• The aligners used in the Invisalign treatment are removable, allowing you to eat and drink without restriction, and brush and floss your teeth as you normally would.
• Invisalign aligners are completely comfortable because they are made with a special plastic customized to fit your teeth.
1. Preparing for Invisalign – First, we will take molds and x-rays of your teeth. With this information, we will create a personalized treatment plan for you, which involves you wearing a customized series of clear aligners designed to fit your smile; the aligners are made based off the molds we take from your teeth.
2. The Invisalign Treatment – Every two weeks, you will wear a new set of aligners from the Invisalign series until you complete the full treatment. The aligners should be worn all day and night except when eating, brushing, or flossing your teeth. Wearing the aligners this frequently will guarantee quicker results.
Call our office today for a free consultation to see if you are a candidate for Invisalign!
Dentures and partials are removable appliances used to replace missing teeth. They can improve the appearance of your smile while restoring full function.
WHY DENTURES / PARTIALS?
• Dentures and partials replace the missing teeth in your mouth, allowing you to have a healthy, appealing smile.
• They restore normal function, allowing you to eat and speak normally again.
• Dentures and partials are customized to fit your mouth, which makes them comfortable to wear on a daily basis.
• With a lack of teeth, your facial muscles may begin to sag; dentures and partials can help support those muscles.
• Fixed dentures and partials can prevent your jaw bone from deteriorating due to the lack of teeth.
1. Preparing for Dentures/Partials – We will take different impressions and models of your jaw. These impressions and models will be sent to a special dental laboratory.
2. Creating the Dentures/Partials – Specialized technicians from the dental lab will create a customized set of dentures to fit your mouth based on the impressions and models we have made.
3. Fitting Your Smile –Once we have received your new dentures/partials, we will test their fit and make adjustments if necessary.
Our dentists at Mindful Dental can perform a dental exam and recommend the appropriate denture or partials for you. Call our office to schedule a consultation.
Professional teeth whitening treatments from our office are a safe and effective way to keep your teeth looking bright and healthy.
WHY TEETH WHITENING?
Teeth can become discolored for a number of reasons:
Food/Drink – Certain foods and drinks, such as coffee, tea, and red wine can easily cause staining on your teeth. This is because these types of foods/drinks contain strong color pigments called chromogens that easily attach to your outer enamel.
Tobacco Use – The tar and nicotine found in tobacco products can cause staining on your teeth; tar is a substance that is naturally dark. Nicotine produces a yellowish stain on your teeth when exposed to oxygen.
Trauma – Any injury to the mouth can cause a change in color to your teeth; your teeth may react to the injury by laying down more dentin, which is a darker layer of your teeth underneath your enamel.
Medications – Tooth discoloration can be a side effect of certain medications, including certain antihistamines and high blood pressure medications.
Age – As you age, the outer enamel layer of your teeth becomes thinner, exposing more of the darker dentin layer.
Professional teeth whitening treatments from our office will be able to remove more difficult stains from your teeth that cannot be removed through regular professional cleanings. Our office offers several different types of whitening treatments, including:
• Zoom! Whitening
• Opalescence Boost
• Kor Whitening
• Take-home whitening trays
During your visit, we will discuss which type of whitening treatment is best for you.
• Professional teeth whitening treatments allows for your smile to appear healthier and brighter.
• These treatments help remove difficult stains that cannot be removed through regular brushing or cleanings.
1. Wearing the Whitening Trays – The teeth whitening process is fairly simple; we will provide you with special trays that are filled with a bleaching solution. These trays are to be worn over your teeth for a period of time. Afterward, you will notice a whitened, more beautiful smile.
2. Enhancing the Treatment –In some cases, we may use a special light to enhance the whitening treatment to achieve maximum results.
Call our office to schedule a consultation and find out how to achieve your brightest smile!
Root canal therapy is a treatment performed to restore the health and function of a severely damaged tooth. To understand a root canal procedure, it helps to know about the anatomy of the tooth: inside the hard layer of the tooth’s exterior, there is a soft nerve chamber called the pulp; the pulp contains blood vessels, nerves, and connective tissue. A root canal treatment becomes necessary when the pulp becomes swollen or infected.
WHY A ROOT CANAL?
A tooth’s pulp can become infected or inflamed for a number of reasons, including:
• Severe tooth decay
• Crack/chip in the tooth
• Trauma/injury to the tooth
If the infection or inflammation is left untreated, it can lead to severe pain or an abscess in your bone or gums. Root canals are used to completely remove the infection and prevent it from advancing.
• Root canal treatments can eliminate all signs of infection from an affected tooth.
• The treatment prevents infection from spreading to the gums and nearby teeth.
• Contrary to popular belief, root canal treatments cause little to no discomfort for patients.
1. Removing the Pulp – First, the infected/inflamed pulp is removed from the tooth.
2. Cleaning the Root – Once we have removed all signs of infection, we will thoroughly clean and disinfect the inside of the tooth.
3. Sealing the Tooth –Finally, we will seal the tooth with a special dental material. We will then attach a crown over the tooth to give it protection.
Call our office to schedule a consultation with our office today to receive restorative root canal therapy.
When a tooth gets a small hole on its surface due to decay, —known as a cavity—dental fillings are used to repair the damage.
WHY TOOTH FILLINGS?
When we eat food, it sticks to our teeth. The bacteria in our mouth enjoy eating the same food particles; when they metabolize these particles, they produce an acidic waste on your teeth, which can create cavities by destroying parts of your teeth’s outer layer of enamel. Practicing healthy dental habits such as brushing twice a day and flossing daily can eliminate some of these bacteria and therefore prevent cavity formation from happening.
• Fillings reduce the damage to a tooth’s surface that may be caused by decay.
• Tooth fillings prevent cavities from advancing and becoming larger and more severe.
• Fillings allow you to eat foods normally and comfortably without particles getting stuck inside a cavity that can cause tooth decay to advance.
1. Cleaning the Cavity – First, we will thoroughly clean the cavity of bacteria and the decayed portion of the tooth.
2. Filling the Cavity – Then, we will fill the cavity with a special dental filling, such as amalgam (silver), or composite (tooth-colored) filling.
When cavities are small, treating them takes less time, less money, and less discomfort. However, if these cavities are not treated early, they become larger and may cause your tooth to break or feel discomfort as a result. Call our office to schedule an appointment with our office today so we can use measures to prevent cavities and their advancement!
A dental veneer is a thin, tooth-colored, porcelain shell that is customized to be worn over the front side of your teeth, designed to correct the minor cosmetic imperfections in your smile.Veneers are an easy and convenient way to transform your smile into a dazzling one!
Porcelain veneers are very versatile; they are an excellent choice for correcting a range of dental flaws, including:
• Stained or discolored teeth
• Misshapen teeth
• Teeth with cracks and chips
• Gaps between teeth
• Misaligned teeth
• Veneers instantly give you a beautiful smile as soon as they’re bonded to your teeth.
• Veneers can correct a large range of minor dental imperfections.
• Dental veneers mimic the look of natural teeth.
•The process for receiving veneers is non-invasive and completely painless.
1. Preparing forVeneers – Getting veneers is usually a two-step process that includes two visits to our office. During the first visit, we will lightly buff and shape the enamel surface layer to allow room for the veneers to fit. Then, we will take an impression or mold of your teeth.
2. Creating the Veneers – The impressions and molds we take from your teeth will be sent to a dental laboratory, for a dental technician to create a set of customized veneers.
3. Fitting the Veneers – Once your veneers have been made, we will test the veneers to make sure they have a proper fit and are comfortable. If they are the proper fit, we will use a bonding cement to attach the veneers to your teeth.
Our dentists at Mindful Dental can perform a dental exam and recommend the appropriate veneers for you. Call our office to schedule a consultation today.
A dental crown is a “cap” that entirely covers a damaged tooth from the gum line up. They can be made of many different materials, including metals, or white porcelain. There are also crowns that do not contain dark metal or metal that shows through the gum line.
A dental bridge is a treatment option that is used to replace one or more missing teeth. A bridge is composed of an artificial tooth that “bridges” the space in which a natural tooth used to be. The bridge is anchored in place using crowns that are placed on the adjacent teeth.
WHY CROWNS AND BRIDGES?
Dental crowns have three main functions:
1. Crowns are used when a cavity is so big that there is an insufficient amount of healthy tooth left to support a filling on its own. Crowns help the weakened tooth support the filling
2. Dental crowns are also used to protect a weak tooth from breaking, especially after it has received a root canal treatment.
3. Crowns are also used in cosmetic dentistry to cover a discolored or poorly shaped tooth or cover a dental implant.
Dental bridges are a suitable option for patients who are missing permanent teeth. If there are strong teeth adjacent to the space a natural tooth used to be, then a bridge can be cemented in place to restore the look and feel of your tooth.
• Both crowns and bridges improve the aesthetics of your smile.
• Crowns have multiple functions—all restorative methods that both protect and improve the look of your teeth.
• Bridges fill in the gap of missing teeth, allowing you to speak and chew normally.
• Bridges are less invasive than other restorative methods for missing teeth such as dental implants.
1. Preparing for Crowns/Bridges – The process for crowns/bridges are fairly similar, and typically requires two appointments to complete. First, we will take impressions and molds of your teeth.
2. Creating Crowns/Bridges – We will take the impressions and molds of your teeth and send them to a dental laboratory, where a dental technician will create a customized crown/bridge for you.
3. Fitting the Crowns/Bridges – Once the crown/bridge has been made, we will test its fit on your teeth; if they have the correct fit, we will bond it in
Our dentists at Mindful Dental can perform a dental exam and recommend the appropriate path for you. Call our office to schedule a consultation.
Nightguards are appliances that protect your teeth, muscles, and joints from teeth grinding. Nightguards can be made to be soft or hard, depending on your needs. We can help you determine if your teeth and joints are being damaged from teeth grinding and decide which type of nightguard is right for you.
WHY NIGHT GUARDS?
Many people unknowingly grind their teeth at night. You may experience a pain in your jaw after you’ve awakened from sleep. Other signs of teeth grinding are more evident during a regular dental exam. We may notice that your teeth have become flatter and shorter.
If you grind your teeth at night and do not wear a nightguard, your teeth will continue to wear down your teeth, wearing away the enamel, or the strong, protective outer layer, of your teeth. The dentin layer underneath your enamel is softer and will grind away even faster as a result. Once these two layers have been worn away, they cannot be regrown; they will be permanently damaged. In addition, further grinding without a nightguard will lead to toothaches, fractures, jaw pain, and even bone loss due to long-term trauma.
• Night guards protect your teeth from consistent teeth grinding.
• These special mouth guards can help reduce teeth grinding.
• Night guards reduce the pain in the jaw and teeth as a result of teeth grinding.
HOW DO THEY WORK?
Nightguards are simple to use; they are meant to be worn over your teeth before you go to bed so they can protect your teeth from grinding. They are also designed to fit comfortably over your teeth so you can continue to sleep without experiencing any discomfort.
. Call our office today to schedule a consultation if you are experiencing any symptoms of tooth grinding or suspect you may be grinding your teeth in your sleep. We can fit you with the right nightguard to prevent problems associated with teeth grinding.
Our dental hygienists perform routine professional dental cleanings—also known as dental prophylaxis—as a preventative method to remove damaging plaque and tartar from a patient’s teeth.
Even when we brush and floss regularly, we still leave behind some plaque and bacteria in our mouth every day. Over time, this plaque can harden into tartar and build up deposits on your teeth, sometimes settling on surfaces that you cannot easily see in the mirror. The plaque and tartar buildup will eventually begin to irritate your gums, and as a result, your gums can swell and your jawbone can shrink back, leading to gum and bone disease.
Regular brushing and flossing can help eliminate plaque, but it’s not enough to remove hardened tartar. Our dental team, however, can gladly help keep plaque and tartar buildup away by providing gentle and thorough professional dental cleanings when you routinely visit our office every 6 months.
• We can remove any signs of plaque and tartar build-up from your teeth, reducing your chances of developing tooth decay or gum disease.
• A thorough dental cleaning often results in a brighter, healthier-looking smile for all of our patients.
1. Dental Scaling – The procedure for professional dental cleaning is fairly simple; The entire cleaning process usually takes between 30 minutes to an hour with an exam, depending on your situation.First, we will “scale” the teeth, in which we remove plaque and tartar from your tooth surfaces using special dental instruments.
2. Teeth Polishing – We will also polish your teeth to give it a brightened shine and remove any remaining plaque from your teeth
Call our office to schedule your regular bi-annual exam and cleaning today!
Tooth extractions involve removing a tooth, usually as a result of severe decay, disease,
Tooth extractions can become necessary for a number of reasons, including:
• Severe tooth decay/infection
• Advanced gum disease
• A tooth blocking permanent teeth from coming in
• Preparing the mouth for orthodontic treatment
• Reducing crowding in the mouth
• Wisdom teeth erupting from the gums improperly or causing discomfort
• Extraction removes teeth that may be causing pain or discomfort.
• Teeth extractions prevent the infection from affected teeth and gums from spreading.
• Extraction allows more room for permanent teeth to grow.
• Extraction allows your remaining teeth to align better with the right orthodontic treatment.
We will first numb the area to reduce any discomfort during the procedure. Then, we will use methods that involve carefully removing your tooth from the gums and jawbone; you may experience some pressure while your tooth is being removed, but the anesthetic we administer before the procedure will eliminate pain. The entire process for a tooth extraction usually takes a few minutes to complete.
Bone Grafts – Following a tooth extraction, we may recommend that you receive a bone graft after your gums have healed. This is because after a tooth has been removed, the bone that once held the tooth will shrink in and become weak. The adjacent teeth can eventually become affected and move or become weak. In addition, any future treatment to replace the now missing tooth with an implant becomes difficult because the available bone has been reduced.
A bone graft will allow us to add more bone to your jawbone in order for it to support future dental implants if they become necessary. Some bone grafts can be accomplished by obtaining bone from within the mouth. However, a bone graft can be also be taken from a bone in other parts of the body, a donor, or even synthetic/processed bone materials
CONTACT US TODAY!
49 LAGRANGE AVENUE
POUGHKEEPSIE, NY 12603
MONDAY: 9am - 8pm
TUESDAY: 9am - 6pm
WEDNESDAY: 9am - 7pm
THURSDAY: 9am - 6pm
FRIDAY: 9am - 5pm